The Riverview School District is a walking school district. Student safe walking awareness is reviewed annually with the Police Departments. In addition to reinforcing safe walking rules with students at the beginning of the school year, the District has established Safe Walking Routes for each school. Please review these routes with your child throughout the school year.
Safe Walking Routes
The Riverview School District, along with the Police Departments have formulated the following walking routes. These routes are recommended safe walking routes according to pedestrian and vehicle laws of the Commonwealth of PA. These routes were designed to be used 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They show the safest area to walk on the street as well as the safest place to cross every street and crossing guard locations.
Locate your school map and find your address. You may then follow the blue arrows to the school. The reverse would be done for walking home. Because the maps are all encompassing for safety, all walking routes will follow a street or sidewalk. Pathways and cut through stairs have been eliminated as safe walking routes.
Riverview School District Safe Walking Rules
· Never step into the street from between parked cars.
· Watch for turning cars
· Look all ways before crossing
· Obey traffic signals
· Walk! Don’t run! Allow yourself plenty of time
· Cross only at corners
· Face traffic when walking on streets without sidewalks
· Be extra alert on snow and rain days
· Go directly to and from school
· Have a partner to walk with if possible
In the event a student is approached by someone when walking, they should do the following:
· Do not approach the car
· Immediately run to a safe place
· Inform parent or adult of the incident
· Contact the police
· Try to give a good description of the individual and the vehicle